Air Pollution Control in the Aluminium Industry
Primary aluminium producers have to continuously improve their emission levels to meet the most stringent environmental regulations. They must treat pollutants emitted during the electrolysis process, such as HF, due to the adsorption process of fluorine by alumina, as well as PAHs and dusts emitted during the anode baking and manufacturing.
Fives develops three gas cleaning processes for the Aluminium industry:
- Gas Treatment Centers (GTC) aiming at capturing alumina and recycling the fluorine emitted by electrolysis pots during aluminium production process.
- Fume Treatment Centers (FTC) offering high-end performance in line with the most stringent environmental standards for all pollutants emitted by anode baking furnaces (PAHs, benzo(a)pyrene, HF, tars, etc.).
- Pitch Fume Treatment Systems (PFTS) at the Green Anode Plant (GAP) aiming at limiting operators' exposure to PAHs in the working area and at complying with the most stringent environmental standards.
On these gas cleaning processes, according to the project’s needs, Scrubbing solutions are used on the GTC and FTC and Dedusting solutions and Oxidizers are used on the PFTS.
- HF reduction on Electrolysis pots
- PAH and dust abatement on anode baking furnace
- PAH abatement at Green Anode Plant